|These four stamps, designed by Stacey Zass, celebrate the
importance of Lachlan Macquarie (1762-1824) as Governor of New
South Wales. During his time as governor (1810-1821), Macquarie
provided an important vision for the colony. He embarked
on a public works program, erecting churches, parsonages,
courthouses, lighthouses, convict barracks and factories. These
buildings would transform the physical appearance of the colony.|
The architect Francis Greenway was often responsible for designing these buildings. Among the buildings Greenway designed for Macquarie were the Convict Barracks, Sydney (1817), Fort Macquarie, Sydney (1817), Government Stables, Sydney (1817), St Matthew's, Windsor (1817), the Female Factory and Barracks, at Parramatta (1818) and St James, Sydney (1819).
Greenway was one of the former convicts who rose to prominence during the Macquarie era. In an age when former
convicts, known as emancipists, were treated as social outcasts,
Macquarie believed they should be fully restored to society. In his
opinion they could make as valuable a contribution to society as
the free settlers.
The stamps feature Macquarie's portrait and celebrate his
vision, and they remember his enlightened policies towards the
emancipists and his erection of substantial buildings to improve
the physical amenity of all colonists.