|The Cyprus railway, which operated in Cyprus from 1905 to 1951, represented one of the most important evolutions experienced by Cyprus during the British rule, contributing to a large extend towards the economic and social life in Cyprus|
When they arrived in Cyprus in 1878, the British established that there was no satisfactory communications network. Within the framework of the effort to improve the road transport system, they decided to create a railway line which would initially link Nicosia and Famagusta harbour, for the conveyance of passengers and goods, between the two cities, as well as between the villages along this line. So they started the construction of a 76-centimeter gauge railway laid on wooden sleepers (traverses). at the same time, they purchased a second hand engine and British manufactured wagons from Egypt. The first experimental trip took place on 7 August 1905 and on 21 October of the same year the Cyprus railway officially started operating. It was 37 miles long, with intermediary stops near the villages of Stylloi, Prastio of Famagusta, Genagra, Angastina and Trachoni. In 1914, the railway line was extended from Nicosia to Morphou, and later in the same year from Kalo Chorio to Morphou.
Text: Paschalis Eliopoulos, Nicosia
Source: Stamps and Philatelic Services, Cyprus Post